Opinionated Rant Coming, Read It At Your Own Risk. :)


I was going to post this as a status on Facebook, but as it's probably going to be quite a long 'WTF' kind of rant, I figured it'd make a better blog post. So lucky you hahaha!

I will preface this post with an admission that I'm in kind of a grumpy mood right now, so my judgement may be slightly impaired. The internal switch that controls and regulates my rants is dulled a little from pain meds, which may or may not be a good thing. I'll let you be the judge. 

Okay, here goes. Donald Trump. 
What the absolute bad-word is going on with this crazy crazy person??? So at first I thought it was a joke. When I first saw stuff about him entering the political market, for want of a better word, I was all like "this is a joke, right? He can't actually be thinking anyone is going to take him seriously?" But apparently he's not joking at all. 

I must insert another preface here - my Dad wanted me to be the first female Prime Minister of Australia. From as early as I can remember, he'd be all blah-blah-blahing about politics and saying to me "Gert, you will be Prime Minister when you're all grown up. You can be Australia's first female Prime Minister, and I can be your advisor and we'll inject some common sense into this country". 
And I would kind of roll my eyes and be all like "yeah, yeah but NO." Which was a big deal, cause you know, I was very much Daddy's little girl and he was (and kind of still is if I'm honest), very much my hero and role model for all things awesome. (read - I didn't disagree with him often). 

But I hate politics. I really do. I don't understand it for one. I also think most politicians lack any sort of common sense and therefore have no idea what the actual people they are governing want or need. For the longest time, I voted for the Jedi Party at every election. (For those who aren't aware, voting is compulsory in Australia once you turn 18. If you don't vote, you get fined. But there is never anyone decent to actually vote for, so why bother? The Jedi Party don't actually exist, but they get a ridiculously high number of votes each election. Go figure). I have recently voted properly but unfortunately my vote didn't count as evidenced when the wonderfully moronic Tony Abbott became Prime Minister. He's an idiot. He would probably vote for Donald Trump if he could vote in the US, as I think he shares a lot of the same principles and values - although I think calling his delusions principles and values is giving them much more credit than they deserve. 

ANYWAY........ so as an outsider (that is an outsider to the political goings on of the United States of America), but someone who thanks to an American husband who does follow politics gets a little insight to help me understand it marginally, I feel I have some kind of qualification to add my opinion to this weird, weird debate. 

Let's also say that I may not have all of the information 100% correct. After all, I can only make judgements based on what I see, hear, read and understand. And from what I have been able to ascertain, Mr Trump doesn't think President Obama has done a very good job since he's been in office. I don't know about that. I think President Obama seems like a pretty cool guy. His wife seems pretty awesome too. They seem smart and fair and I could be wrong, but I think being the President of The United States of America would be kind of a tough job. He looks like he's done it pretty decently, again, I'm only saying my opinion from an outsiders' point of view. 

But so Trump doesn't like Obama, whatever. He also doesn't like people who have any religion other than his. So I guess he wouldn't like me much, but that's okay with me. He also wants to close the borders of the USA to refugees and immigrants, saying that he wants to make America great again. I could be wrong, but aren't immigrants a healthy part of why America is what it is now? Like here in Australia, take the Snowy Mountain Hydro-Electricity Scheme. That was a massive, huge undertaking and it was built pretty much entirely by immigrants. And there are so many other examples of infrastructure and businesses being built up and made amazing by immigrants to our country. We are multicultural because of immigrants. And while there are many many arguments about refugees and the ways they are treated or not treated, the fact remains that as a stable, secure and well off Western nation, we have a major humanitarian obligation to help people from countries less fortunate than ours. We have to help people who are scared to let their kids go to school, whose kids can't even go to school. Whose daily commute consists of a sort of Frogger type game, except that it's not computer generated cars you have to be careful of, it's bombs and snipers and actual death or torture. We have a moral obligation to help wherever and however we can if we want to consider ourselves decent human beings. 

And the USA is no different. How many places, how many businesses, how much employment and infrastructure was built, created and put in place by immigrants to the USA? How many great scientific and medical discoveries have been made by people who do not share the same colour skin, religious beliefs or birth country as Mr Trump? How can a country as financial and influential as America close its' borders to those less fortunate and in dire, desperate need of help? 

Why if you listen to the Trump man, it's simply a matter of religion. This alone seems ridiculous to me. I am not a religious person, but I am a good person. I believe that a person has the right to choose to believe in whatever, or whoever they want and that belief is no one else's business but their own. But the Trumpet man, oops, I mean Mr. Trump, wants to essentially intern all Muslims that live in the USA and prevent any new Muslims from entering. He is repeating the political dictatorship type of mass scaremongering that Adolf Hitler has long been (rightfully) vilified for.

How do people not see this? How are the comparisons not glaringly obvious to any sane person? To me, Donald Trump seems as insane as a rabies fuelled wild dog, foaming at the mouth, ready to strike fear and dribble into the mouths and hearts of all those who will listen to him.

To make any country great, the solution seems pretty simple to me. Be nice. Be fair, and even when you can't be fair to everyone, do what is right for the greater good. Don't let corporations take over basic services like medical services, water, gas, electricity and schooling etc.... for profit. Institute a basic minimum wage that covers a realistic cost of living, and give every single person regardless of race, colour, religion, musical preferences, taste in food, hair colour, sexual preferences, size of the house they live in, job they perform and their entire range of other points of uniqueness, the same rights. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Just be freaking nice. Don't judge an entire religion or race or group based on the insane actions of a few crazies. 
For there will always be crazy individuals. Just look at Trump. I sincerely hope that America doesn't elect this insane crazy bigot to the role of President. Because I truly believe that America will be the laughing stock of the world. I honestly do. As an Australian who absolutely loves the USA, I am horrified that this could be a serious possibility. 
I love Australia, although we have our own issues here and there. I love America, despite its' here and there issues too. But if Donald Trump is elected as President, I could not in any good conscience, ever go there again. 
So please, please, make this be a joke and show some common sense my American friends and family. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer!

Time To Say Goodbye

2013, A Look Back